Alderbury, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, near the Salisbury branch of the South-western railway, 3 miles SE of Salisbury. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Salisbury. The parish comprises 2242 acres of land and 23 of water; population of civil parish, 678; of ecclesiastical parish of Alderbury St Mary, 877. Alderbury House, in the vicinity of the village, was built of materials from the ancient belfry of Salisbury Cathedral. Ivy Church, some remains of which exist on an eminence near the village, was an Augustinian priory founded by King Stephen. The living of Alderbury is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is excellent. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The church of St. Mary, rebuilt in 1857, is a cruciform edifice of flint with stone dressings, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, north aisle, transepts, south porch, and a tower with spire, containing one bell: there are ten stained windows, of which one in the transept was the gift of the late Sir Frederick H. Hervey-Bathurst bart. and three in the north transept were erected to the memory of the Rev. Preb. R.S. Hutchings M.A. vicar 1874-1911: the church affords 450 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1606.